Tuesday, May 15, 2012

The Importance of Reading Ernest

If I have learned anything from my college career, it is that Ernest Hemingway is my spirit author.

Spirit author=spirit animal, except for it's not an animal, it's a person.  Who is an author.

Anyway, Ernest Hemingway is my spirit author because, first of all, he is secretly a fox and I just love it when people are as attractive as the actor who would play them in a movie is.  You know?


Second of all, Ernest Hemingway is my homie because he has lots of really great quotes about writing that ring very true to me.  Such as the following:



But mostly because his prose is the most beautiful, spare, true prose I've ever read.  He is a masterful, clean writer.  

So, in everything I write these days, I earnestly (pun!) try to be like Ernest.  I tend to think, and talk, and write, in run-on sentences.  Followed by fragments.  And then run-on sentences, probably a lot of them, that use lots of clauses and commas, and go on forever.  And that's bad.  Because don't we all just want to talk about things as they are and should be in as few words as possible?  I'm trying to be more economical with my writing, but mostly with my real-life interactions.  If I don't have anything to apologize for, I shouldn't.  If I don't have to explain something, it should be left unsaid.  

It's important to say what I think, in the way that I mean.  But anything else I say is unimportant.   

That is my one great insight into life.
      
Read this.  It is by Ernest, and it is perfect.



I call Ernest by his first name.  Because he's my spirit author.



8 comments:

Dawn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dawn said...

Please borrow my copy of "The Paris Wife." It's about your pal's first wife and life in Paris, you would like it. Also try to avoid becoming a selfish alcoholic writer if possible.

K Cummings said...

Paris Wife is a fun read. And you've watched Midnight in Paris, yes?

If you like spare writing, I highly recommend "The Summer Book" by Tove Jansson. It may just be my most favorite book ever.

Unknown said...

hi i'm not patient enough to read all of this but the pictures were really interesting! and i love you!

yanmaneee said...

nike huarache
adidas yeezy
curry 6 shoes
christian louboutin outlet
air max
nike epic react
louboutin shoes
birkin bag
adidas nmd
nike react

boughez said...

replica bags by joy replica bags bangkok joy replica bags review

gethea said...

useful referencetry this web-site this pagecontent Homepagemy website

Unknown said...

you can find out more dolabuy Balenciaga why not look here dolabuy Loewe check these guys out gucci replica