Sunday, July 4, 2010

Spartacus

Two things that I love are apple pie and summertime.  (So American of me, right?  Happy 4th!)
Two things that I hate are reality television and sports.

Yes, I just said it.  I hate sports.  Love me anyways.

Fortunately, summertime is such a glorious thing that it can even cure me of my hatred for ordinarily awful things.  Like reality TV.  I hate The Bachelor, The Bachelorette, American Idol, America's Got Talent, For the Love of Ray J, Survivor...but I love So You Think You Can Dance.  I think that Cat Deeley is the most adorable person alive, and the best TV host ever, ever, ever.  I want to be her best friend.  I love the fact that she is a foot taller than most of the dancers, but still wears four inch heels every show.  Good for you, Cat Deeley.  Look!  I found a slideshow of her outfits this season.  I also love watching the dances.  Like this one from last week.  And this one from last week.  And, of course, this one.  Man, I love that show.

As far as sports, summer brings with it what is hands-down the BEST sporting event in the whole entire world. The Tour de France.  The Tour de France is the most exciting, complex, classy, mind-blowing sporting event ever.  It's like the opera of sports.  There are crashes, passes, peaks, valleys, rests, and climaxes.  It's all very exciting.  And I think that cyclers have the most incredible sense of teamwork.  They're all about drafting, which is so awesome and noble.  Every team has a star that's really good at sprinting, and the other team members will draft for him and let him rest the whole ride until the very end.  And then he sprints.  Really, really fast.  And so do all the other stars on all the other teams.  And all of the other sprinters feel this huge sense of loyalty for their other team members and don't want to let them down, so everyone is just trying really hard to win for their team.  It's really intense.  Thank you Mom and Dad for explaining all of this to me.

Except for last year, the whole team loyalty thing got totally messed up when Alberto Contador TOTALLY PASSED his teammate Lance Armstrong on one of the stages.  It was completely not allowed, but Contador ended up winning the whole Tour.  Which is awkward because they were on the same team.  But this year, Lance took the coach and all of the other good members from last  year's team Astana and made a new team.  Team Radio Shack.  And he is like seeking vengeance.  Lance vs. Contador.  To the death.  No, not really.  The little British announcers on the cycling channel are calling it the "Clash of the Titans" and they keep using the word Spartacus, which I think is funny.  I think they're talking about Contador.  For the record, I'm Team Lance.  Feast your eyes and ears upon this video.



I LOOOOOOOOOOOVE this sport!

Oh, and I just think that apple pie is delicious.  I made the best apple pie I've ever made today, in honor of America's b-day.    
  
 

7 comments:

Aly said...

Thanks for blogging. It totally is the clash of the titans! we are so excited. I love Lance so much I talk about naming our first boy after him. Wish I could have been there for the apple pie! Love ya.

Abby Giles said...

umm alright awesome. i thought you said you were going to blog about me? its fine. i enjoyed watching the sytycd videos again.

Dawn said...

Loved this post. One of the best parts is Abby's comment, a classic. P.S. I think Spartacus is the Spanish rider who won the time trial and took the lead from the nice British guy who had it all day.

Christine Marie said...

Hi. I live a 1.3 minute walk away from where Tour de France started this year. In case you wanted to be jealous.

spencer said...

Spartacus is Fabian Cancellara. He's a Swiss guy.

great post, mandy. the bachelorette is the worst show on TV.

Positive Petersons said...

okay, i love this a lot! and that dance by twitch and alex...STOP IT! like, really i love it. and i could 100% see you loving cylcing. so classy, i agree. i miss you!!

Unknown said...

Finally finally finally a new post from mandy! Loved this post...I don't care about cycling..no offense Giles family but I adore the way you wrote this! Your play of words is gorgeous...just like a song. I enjoy reading things you write. Please post again soon!